Monday, February 1, 2010

The 52nd Grammy Awards

The Grammy Awards last night managed to surprise me, and give me the boost i needed to actually come to school today, not having slept for the last two nights. "Use Somebody" by Kings Of Leon, not only took home Record of the Year, but Best Rock Song as well. I was please3d by this, because I was expecting the Record of the Year to be given to a Rap record, considering how Rap's popularity has risen in the past few years. I'm surprised to learn that a rap record wasn't even nominated. Go figure.

Another pleasant surprise was that Jason Mraz, and alternative artist, walked away with both Best Male Pop Performance for "Make it Mine" and Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for "Lucky" with Colbie Caillat. The fact that Jason Mraz beat out both Stevie Wonder and Ciara astonishes me, because you would never expect a mostly underground alternative artist to take even the slightest bit of glory for two artists as influential as these..

Beyonce out did herself this year, taking home Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "Halo", Song of the Year, Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, and Best R&B Song for "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)", Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for "At Last" and Best Contemporary R&B Album for "I Am... Sasha Fierce" making her the female record holder for most awards won in one night, at 6. Beyonce is an artist who is always on top of her game, and seems to find success in whatever she does.

After a short Hiatus, the Black Eyed Peas managed to make a huge comeback, resulting in their taking home Best Pop Vocal Album for "The E.N.D (Energy Never Dies)". I was glad to see that the group's popularity hadn't faded, but i was disappointed to see that they best out Pink's "Funhouse" Pink made an incredible comeback as well, and I feel as though since she is such an infulential artist, she should have been credited in some way.

I was also pleased to see that Lady GaGa took Best Dance Recording for "Poker Face" and Best Electronic / Dance Album for "The Fame". Lady GaGa took mainstream pop by storm when "Just Dance" became such a success on the pop charts even though it is considered a Dance track.

Eminem went on a hiatus in 2004, Eminem made a comeback with his, appropriately entitled "Relapse" It took home Best Rap Album, and its lead single "Crack a Bottle" featuring 50 Cent and Dr. Dre won best Rap Performance By a Duo/ Group.

"Run This Town" by Jay-Z featuring Rihanna and Kanye West won Best Rap/ Sung Collaboration and Best Rap Song. Due to the time frame in which the songs were released, it surprised me to see that "Run This Town" best out "Ego" by Beyonce featuring Kanye West, "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson featuring Ne-Yo and Kanye West, and "Dead and Gone" by T.I. featuring Justin Timberlake.

Overall, I was pleased with the results if the night, and I feel as though the things I hate most about the music industry are slowly but surely fading away, and the things I love most are finally shining through all the clouds of the media.

MUSIC = LOVE, LOVE = LIFE, LIFE = GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment